Global Handwashing Day is an annual global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an easy, effective, and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives.
Celebrated annually on October 15, Global Handwashing Day was founded by the Global Handwashing Partnership and is an opportunity to design, test, and replicate creative ways to encourage people to wash their hands with soap at critical times
Handwashing with soap is an easy, effective, affordable do-it-yourself practice that prevents infections and saves lives.
The 2018 Global Handwashing Day theme is “Clean hands – a recipe for health.” This year’s theme focuses on the links between handwashing and food – including food hygiene and nutrition. Handwashing is an important part of keeping food safe, preventing diseases, and helping children grow strong.
When handwashing with soap is practiced regularly at key times, such as after using the toilet or before contact with food, it can dramatically reduce the risk of diarrhea and pneumonia, which can cause serious illness and death. Handwashing with soap also helps prevent the spread of other infections, including influenza and Ebola
No matter what your role, you can celebrate Global Handwashing Day
Handwashing has multiple benefits for food hygiene, nutrition, and overall health and well-being. On Global
Handwashing Day and every day, here are some ways you can help everyone enjoy the benefits of handwashing
• Wash your hands with soap at critical times, especially before eating, cooking, or feeding others.
• Model good handwashing behavior and remind or help others to always wash their hands before eating.
• Make handwashing a routine part of your family meals.
• Establish places to wash your hands in the household, in your community, in schools, workplaces, and in
• Promote effective handwashing behavior change in research, policy, programs, and advocacy.